Instruction in DSM-5 diagnostic criteria for PTSD will be reviewed. The Posttraumatic Stress Scale for DSM-5 (Interview version – PSSI-5) and the PTSD Diagnostic Scale for DSM-5 (PDS-5), a self-report measure of PTSD symptoms will be introduced. Administration of the PSSI-5 and PDS-5 will be covered. Participants will rate a sample PSSI-5 and discuss the scoring rationale for the sample administration. Prolonged Exposure Therapy for PTSD, an evidence-based treatment for PTSD that is effective, flexible, and a best practice recommendation will be introduced.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
• Define trauma and review DSM-5 criteria for PTSD
• Discuss other considerations in making diagnosis (cultural factors, differential diagnosis)
• Review comorbidity, prevalence, course, and prognosis of PTSD
• Discuss risk factors for development of PTSD
• Define assessment reliability and validity and discuss recommendations for PTSD assessment method and structure
• Discuss administration and scoring conventions of the PDS-5 and PSSI-5
• Rate a sample PSSI-5
• Review emotional processing theory and Prolonged Exposure Therapy for PTSD
Invited Staff and clinicians working with individuals who have been exposed to a trauma.
Participants must attend entire presentation and complete a course evaluation in order to receive credits