Forensic Sub-Specialty Treatment Training Series – Day 1
# of CE's: 6.5
0.7 IACET CE's
These 4 days/ 6 sessions are designed to give staff assigned to the new Forensic Sub-Specialty residential units an overview of effective methods to work with Mandated Clients who are “Returning Citizens”. The series is also designed to help mitigate and reduce violence and harm by sensitizing staff to the effects of correctional incarceration. Staff will more confidently manage risk and screen/assess for violent behavior using specific tools and skills. The focus will be on prevention of violence and risk taking behaviors of residents. Wellness and Self-Care will also be a focus of days 3 and 4.
- Discuss at least 3 ways adaptive behaviors learned during incarceration, that are misunderstood in community treatment settings
- Discuss at least 3 ways pro-social behaviors can be modeled and encouraged by staff
- Outline how staff can (by challenging anti-social and pro-criminal behavior) facilitate a reduction in reoffending
- Outline how recidivism reduction goals can be incorporated into recovery-oriented treatment plans.
- Describe how identifying pre-escalation behaviors and applying risk assessment tools can reduce violence
- List the 4 essential functions of DBT and how they help manage challenging behavior and reduce violence
- Practice using risk assessment tools and as well as introductory DBT skills
Varies for each session and includes Forensic Specialist TCMs and Mobile Psych Rehab, clinicians, and direct care staff working at the Forensic Sub-Specialty Treatment Residences.
Assessment of Learning will involve self-report, group activity with report-outs, role plays with instructor, instructor observation of skill development and written products.
Attendance Requirement: Attendance will be monitored closely. Certificates will be given only upon completion of one of the following options:
- Clinicians and Case Managers Day 1 (Thursday) CEU’s = 6.5 IACET = .7
- Clinicians and Case Managers and Line Staff Day 2 (Friday) CEU’s = 6.5 IACET = .7
- Line staff Day 3 & 4 (Monday and Tuesday) CEU’s = 13.0 IACET = 1.3
Certificates will be issued at the end of Day 1, Day 2 and Day 4. Exceptions will only be made for special requests to miss a part of a day (and the corresponding credit adjustment)