The Impact of Trauma: It’s Not Over ‘Til It’s Over
# of CE's: 6
This course will help people identify common signs and symptoms of traumatization and offer an understanding of traumatic events and their consequences. Trauma will be examined from the perspectives of neurological impact, human development, and social integration. Therapeutic modalities to be explored will include: neurological supports, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), biopsychosocial supports, and social therapy.
- Recognize symptoms of traumatic experiences
- Explain elements of trauma to practitioners
- Describe the vulnerabilities to trauma of all people and particularly people with intellectual and developmental disabilities
- List the categories of symptoms of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Describe therapeutic approaches
- Design day to day supports that address the elements and symptoms
This introductory level series is designed for staff providing services to individuals with intellectual and developmental disability (IDD), family members, and all people interested in learning more about the impact of trauma on people with IDD.
Participants must attend entire course and complete a course evaluation in order to receive credits. /vc_column_text]