This one-day virtual training includes three (3) live, interactive workshops. In order to receive credits, participants must attend all three workshops.
Child Victims of Human Trafficking (CVHT) Overview + Trauma-Informed Screening: In this presentation, professionals will learn the definition of human trafficking, the warning signs, and action steps to take when a child has been identified as a victim. Participants will learn how to identify and screen for human trafficking among children and youth, and gain knowledge about support services existing locally in Philadelphia. Participants will also develop skills to effectively engage with CVHT and how to best advocate for them with other professionals and within various systems.
Sexting and Social Media: The advanced CVHT training is designed for participants to meet the objectives of (1) gaining a better understanding of social media, sexting, and how their use can create unique risks for exploitation, and (2) building a skillset for how to address sexting and social media use with youth.
Presenters will provide information about child trafficking and warning signs to look out for in social media, internet, and phone use. Presenters will teach the legal implications of youth sharing sexually explicit images and video over social media and text messages. Presenters will compare myths about technology use with realities, and will provide practical strategies to help participants keep children safe.
Presenters and participants will explore and confront how their biases and the spoken/unspoken messages they give off to youth about sexuality may contribute to youth feeling unsafe, ashamed, misunderstood, and/or isolated. Presenters will help participants create a foundation for continuing work that will empower them with the skills and attitudes that will make them a safe person youth can come to for support when they are feeling afraid or confused about sexuality, social media, internet, and phone use.
Running Away Behaviors: Trauma-Informed Safety Planning, Assessment, + Response: This is an advanced CVHT training with information applicable to all older youth in the child welfare system, particularly those in congregate care settings with complex trauma. This training will help professionals understand the psychological and physical impacts of human trafficking and commercial sexual exploitation on children, and how it may manifest in running away behaviors.
Participants will learn why youth leave placement, particularly what conditions and situations lead youth to leave placement, and how we can work with youth and other team members to identify and address these factors. Professionals will also learn how to assess risk and safety plans with youth and their caregivers when a child goes missing or returns from a period of having been missing.
Child Victims of Human Trafficking (CVHT) Overview + Trauma-Informed Screening:
- Define human trafficking.
- Identify red flags among children and youth.
- Learn strategies and best practices to screen for human trafficking among children and youth.
- Learn how to respond to disclosures of human trafficking and where to refer CVHT for specialized services.
- Understand the impacts of exploitation on CVHT and how to respond in a trauma-informed manner.
Sexting and Social Media:
- Acquire new knowledge about sexting, its prevalence, how it impacts children’s lives, and legal concerns related to it.
- Understand the developmental and attachment needs that youth seek to meet by sexting.
- Gain confidence in having difficult conversations with youth about online safety.
- Have new resources to share with families and co-workers about sexting and online safety.
Running Away Behaviors: Trauma-Informed Safety Planning, Assessment, + Response:
- Understand the impacts of exploitation on CVHT and the challenges of leaving the trafficking situation.
- Develop knowledge of trauma bonds between victims and perpetrators and apply this understanding to behaviors common in CVHT, specifically running away behaviors.
- Identify push and pull factors that lead youth to leave home and/or placement.
- Learn and practice counseling techniques for working with CVHT and caregivers, specifically how to assess for runaway risk, safety plan, and respond to periods of leaving home or placement.
TF-CBT trained therapists
Part 1: Introductory
Parts 2 & 3: Advanced
Participants must attend the entire session, participate in all activities, and submit an evaluation within 7 days of training to receive credits and a certificate. All CE/CEU certificates and certificates of completion will be received through the DBHIDS Learning Hub. Once you have completed your evaluation you will have access to your CE/CEU or Certificate of Completion through your DBHIDS Learning Hub account.