This webinar will cover Stages of Change theory, and how it applies to behavioral change in ourselves and others. We will also introduce the principles and basic techniques of Motivational Interviewing (MI), which is an evidence-based and client-centered approach for enhancing motivation and commitment to behavioral change. Through a combination of participatory exercises, illustrative videos and lecture, participants will learn the building blocks of effective MI counseling. Particular attention will be paid to strategies for helping people who appear to be “stuck” and/or “resistant” to change.
- List and describe the Stages of Change
- Identify service strategies that are appropriate to each of the Stages
- Discuss alternative ways to respond to people who are “resistant” or “stuck”
- Identify and begin to practice some of interaction techniques of MI
- Define reflective listening and its use in providing recovery-oriented support
Participants must attend the entire session, participate in all activities, and submit an evaluation within 7 days of training to receive credits and a certificate. All CEU certificates and certificates of completion will be received through the DBHIDS Learning Hub. Once you have completed your evaluation you will have access to your ceu or certificate of completion through your DBHIDS Learning Hub account.