520 N. Delaware Ave • Philadelphia, PA 19123 • 215-923-2116 • fax: 215-923-5169

Continuing Education Units (CEUs)

What are CEUs?

CEU stands for Continuing Education Units.  Many professional licenses and certifications require the people that hold them to continue learning in their field, and ask them to take classes that meet their criteria for ongoing professional credentialing.  BHTEN can offer up to 5 different types of continuing education credits, depending on the class.  Each type is governed by specific regulations, criteria, and procedures. It is BHTEN's responsibility to ensure that all of those are adhered to, and to keep appropriate records, so that we can continue to offer high quality trainings that meet the credentialing standards of the certification boards.

What credit types are offered at BHTEN?

There are 5 types of Continuing Education credits that BHTEN is authorized to offer, depending on the class.

Social Work (SW) - Social Work (SW) Credits are generally required by licensed Social Workers to maintain their licensure.  The trainings that carry SW credits are co-sponsored by the Bryn Mawr College Graduate School of Social Work and Social Research. As a CSWE accredited program, Bryn Mawr College GSSWSR is a pre-approved provider of continuing education for social workers, professional counselors, and marriage and family therapists in Pennsylvania and many other states.

Pennsylvania Certification Board (PCB) - PCB Credits are regulated by the Pennsylvania Certification Board are generally requested by those who seek to become and/or maintain their status as a Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor and/or a Certified Advanced Alcohol and Drug Counselor.

Certified Psychiatric Rehabilitation Practitioner (CPRP)- BHTEN is approved by the United States Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association (Provider #011190) to sponsor continuing education for Certified Psychiatric Rehabilitation Practitioners. BHTEN maintains responsibility for the programs and their content.

American Psychological Association (APA) - American Psychological Association (APA) sponsors continuing education for psychologists.  BHTEN is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. BHTEN maintains responsibility for the programs and their content.

International Association of Continuing Education and Training (IACET) -BHTEN is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).  BHTEN complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of excellence in instructional practices.   As a result of this accreditation, BHTEN is authorized to issue the IACET CEU.”

Each IACET CEU is equal to 10 contact hours.

For Example:  ​

BHTEN is accredited by IACET to offer  

​.6​ CEU (.6 ​CEU = 6.0​ contact hours) for training participants who attend the full day


These CEU's are usually requested by the general training participant, and are recognized in a variety of professional and educational settings (such as Community College of Philadelphia).  If you are not sure whether your professional certification or setting accepts IACET CEU's, you will have to check with them.  We will be happy to provide whatever documentation they might need to demonstrate the validity of the CEU's you have earned.  However, we have no say in whether your educational or professional setting recognizes this continuing education type.


My agency or organization wants to offer a training - can we use BHTEN to provide CE credits?

In order to confer credits, BHTEN is required to handle registration and record-keeping, to be involved in the curriculum development and evaluation, to ensure the environment is conducive to learning, and (for some CE types) to submit applications for credit approval well in advance of the training.  Therefore, the answer depends on which CE types you are seeking, how far in advance you are planning, and how far along you are in the development of the training, as well as BHTEN’s current workload and staff availability.  Please contact BHTEN Program Director, Abigail Pol, if you would like to discuss your particular request in more detail.